New year. New green resolutions. Here are 12 easy ways to go green in 2012:
1. Save a tree – avoid using paper towels. And while you’re at it, why not plant a tree? Or two? Or a whole yard full of them?
2. Use space heaters to warm up individual rooms. Just don’t flop down in front of a searing hot parabolic disc heater with your MacBook in hand. Trust me on this one. Some things look better curved, but a laptop is not one of those things 🙁
3. Shop at your local green market, buy produce that is in season, and pack it all into your reusable shopping bags.
4. Stop buying bottled water. A water filter can eliminate up to 300 bottles, saving over $300.
5. Take your wire hangers back to the dry cleaners. Mommy Dearest has our back on this one!
6. If you’re a Sungevity customer, refer a friend! If you’re not a customer yet then find out how much you would save by going solar. By the way, did you know that in 2013 unsubsidized solar in San Diego will be at cost parity with power from the grid?
7. Check your tires’ air pressure to save on gas
8. Use biodegradable doggie bags
9. Pass the elevator and take the stairs. If you’re feeling spritely you can even take them two at a time!
10. Wash your laundry in cold water. 90% of the energy for doing laundry goes into heating the water. Your clothes will turn out just as clean, and you can buy detergents specially formulated for cold water.
11. Recycle your old sneakers into a new playground at any Nike or Converse store.
12. Drop off packing peanuts at your local UPS, FedEx, or independent packing/shipping store for reuse.